Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Do Not Embarrass Me In Public!!

Have you seen the video of the mom pulling her son out of the riot?  I'm sure you have...EVERYONE has seen it.  
 Here it is in case you live under a rock:


 It got me to thinking about my kids and the way I discipline them.  I've been called strict, too strict, sometimes even mean.  Sometimes I think those statements are true and think that I maybe I should give my kids a break.  After I've screamed big red's face off or given one of the babies a swat I sometimes wonder if I'm doing the right thing and whether or not they'll hate me when they're older.

I've noticed a trend in parents being friends with their kids and this softer friendlier approach to parenting.  That is NOT me.  I am not soft or friendly when dealing with unruly children I've given birth to.  I expect my kids to behave, be respectful, follow my instructions and most importantly DO NOT EMBARRASS ME IN PUBLIC! (clearly they all have hearing issues because I must give orders exactly 5 times and scream like a banshee on the 5th one to get a response)

Anyway, they know these rules, they also know I will not hesitate remove them from public in the most embarrassing way or swat them in the middle of WalMart if they're being a jackass.  I don't scream in public but I do grit my teeth and mutter warnings like "If you do not quit crying this instant I will give you something to cry about". 

What I have noticed is that I'm not the norm. Twice I've had someone make a comment to me about the way I chose to discipline my children.  Twice I've told a complete stranger to mind their own business or they'd be the next to receive an ass whipping....I know....Classy right?  (Before you assume that I'm pile driving my kids into the concrete floor in the cracker aisle -  I don't beat them.  However, I will yank an arm or swat their legs) 

Watching that mom pull her kid out of a dangerous situation and give him a reminder of who's boss made me realize I'm doing just fine.  Some of you do well with the nice friendly approach.  Some of you have have naturally amiable kids (if that's you - screw you man) some of you are raising hoodlums.

My mother put the fear of god into me.  I'm 34 and live across the country from her.  I still wouldn't talk back or be nasty to her.  Not even in an email.  Not to mention I had no less than 12 aunts and uncles in any situation that were fully prepared to slap the shit out of me if I acted up.  I don't hate any of them and I have no arrest record.  I think there's a correlation there...

My children don't have to like me, but they will respect me.  They will respect me and other adults and any laws or rules or they will face my wrath (and anyone else who I've deemed acceptable - which means any adult that sees them acting up.  Seriously, feel free to knock some sense into them - please).  I'm ok saying that my kids are more scared of the consequences at home than they are of those at school or other places.  That's my job.  Maybe that fear will keep my hoodlums out of a riot or out of a jail cell.

Hopefully it will keep us both off  of CNN.  If it doesn't get ready for a show....that's rule #1 in my house DON'T EMBARRASS ME IN PUBLIC!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment